Video: All it takes is 5 nights of bad sleep
A report commissioned by the Federal Government has found 5 nights of bad sleep –
- can put your body in a pre-diabetic state
- for young men – a dramatic, but temporary, drop in testosterone levels.
Poor sleep generally is associated with –
- 20 to 40% increase in chronic health issues
- Higher risk of obesity
- Mental health issues
- Reduced work productivity
- More road accidents than alcohol and drugs combined.
So what is a good night’s sleep?
Most adults need 7 – 8 hrs a night
Sleep tips –
- Set a regular bedtime and wake up time
- Turn off smartphones, digital devices one hour before bedtime
- Limit caffeine and alcohol during the day
- Eat dinner at least 2 hrs before bedtime
- Comfortable bed and pillow
- Dark bedroom
- Meditate to reduce stress
- Physical exercise during the day.
The three pillars of health –
- Healthy diet
- Physical exercise
- Good sleep.
Make sleep a priority in your life.
Last Reviewed: 18/04/2019
Video: Waking up to sleep deprivation
Many Australians accept sleep deprivation as a part of life, relying on stimulants like caffeine to get them through the day. But sleep deprivation causes adverse physical effects, such as high blood pressure, heart disease and obesity.
myDr's top 10 health news stories of 2018
These are the top 10 news stories brought to you by myDr.com.au in 2018. News about sleep took out the top 3 places, adding weight to reports earlier this year that found that Australians just don't get enough sleep.
Insomnia (not sleeping) is a problem that most people experience at some time or another. Find out more about insomnia and how to cope with difficulty sleeping.
Sleep: what happens to your body
Find out what happens to your body when you are asleep. Sleep has 2 distinct phases: REM and non-REM sleep.
Obstructive sleep apnoea in children
Obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) is a condition that affects breathing during sleep. Affected children frequently snore and have poor quality sleep that affects their behaviour and concentration during the day.