Black henna temporary tattoos should be avoided, doctors warn
6 May 2016
UK doctors have warned against the dangers of black henna tattoos, following the case of a 10-year old boy who had an allergic reaction to a temporary tattoo he got on holiday in Spain.
Writing in BMJ Case Reports , the University of Sheffield authors report the rash had started 4 days after application of henna tattoo while the boy was in Spain.
He had redness, itching, and small inflammatory irritated spots on his partially crusted skin lesion, which followed the outline of the tattoo on his right upper arm. The surrounding skin was red, hot and painful to touch.
It is believed that the reaction was caused by paraphenylenediamine (PPD), a textile dye that is commonly added to henna to blacken the pigment and speed up drying time.
PPD is a known contact allergen, and can lead to a reaction based on its concentration and the length of time it is on the skin or scalp.
The boy was treated with antibiotics, corticosteroid cream, local anaesthetic and moisturising creams. The reaction site improved after 48 hours, with rapid resolution of the surrounding inflammation.
Due to their tendency to cause allergic reactions, the doctors warn that skin tattoos with black henna should be avoided.
Last Reviewed: 06/05/2016
Laser therapy is used as a treatment for a wide range of skin and cosmetic conditions, including signs of ageing, sun damage, tattoo removal and hair removal.
White-tail spider bite
Although a white-tail spider bite can be painful and cause temporary skin irritation and inflammation, experts now say it’s very unlikely that it is responsible for skin ulcers and slow-healing wounds.
Video: Food allergy and anaphylaxis
A food allergy is when the body reacts to a protein it thinks is harmful and starts to protect itself. Some of the signs and symptoms are associated with the skin, the gastrointestinal tract, breathing, the heart and blood pressure.
A case of a bulging oesophageal bypass
53 years ago, this man had an operation to replace his oesophagus with his colon. Look what's happened now.
About 1 in 20 boys in Australia are born with undescended testicles - a condition known as cryptorchidism where the testes have not moved down into the scrotum.