Video: Cough etiquette
If you have the flu, are coughing, sneezing or have a runny nose, here are the basics of cough etiquette to ensure you protect those around you and prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses.
- Cover your nose and mouth with disposable single-use tissues.
- Use tissues to contain nose or mouth secretions.
- Dispose of tissues immediately after use.
- If tissues are unavailable, cough or sneeze into your elbow, not your hand.
- Sneezing into your hand transfers germs to any surface you handle, and spreads your flu to other people more quickly.
- Keep your hands away from your eyes and nose.
- Wash your hands ASAP after contact with respiratory secretions.
- Stay home.
- Look after yourself and those around you.