Raw milk blamed for toddler’s death
Unpasteurised milk is likely to have caused the death of a 3-year old Victorian boy, a coroner’s court has heard.
The child’s father told the court on Monday he had given his son small amounts of Mountain View Organic Bath Milk on rare occasions in the months leading to his October 2014 death.
The Herald Sun reports that a Department of Health investigation, a forensic pathologist’s report and a subsequent outbreak of illnesses among 4 other children who drank the raw milk had all established its consumption as being the likely cause of death.
Coroner Audrey Jamieson on Monday said she was satisfied issues that would have warranted a full hearing into the death had already been dealt with and she could make a determination on the balance of probabilities.
Coroner’s solicitor Rebecca Cohen told the court the 3-year-old had been a healthy child until suffering haemorrhagic colitis on September 30, 2014, and being admitted to Frankston Hospital 4 days later. He was transferred to Monash Medical Centre on October 6, where it was found his entire large bowel was infected. The boy died a short time later.
The court heard that an autopsy was consistent with tests taken during the toddler’s medical treatment, finding the same genetic traces in his bowel that led to haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS), a rare condition stemming from E. coli bacteria which can be present in raw milk.
An investigation said that while HUS infections were usually an “exceptionally rare occurrence” it was dealing with 2 non-fatal cases at the same time as the death and all 3 children had consumed the same unpasteurised milk.
Two cases of cryptosporidium also reported among young raw milk drinkers in the same area within 10 days of the two HUS cases reinforced the pathology evidence, Ms Cohen said.
Last Reviewed: 28/06/2016
Reproduced with kind permission from 6minutes.com.au.
Is it healthy to be fat and fit?
Being fit is important for health however carrying too much body fat may undo many of the health benefits brought about by fitness. A study in Sweden has surprising results.
British doctor mistakenly removes man's testicle then pretends it's still there
British surgeon makes a balls-up of op and mistakenly removes man's right testicle, then pretends it's still there, just 'small'.
Breast feeding your baby
Breast milk has long been known as the ideal food for babies and infants. Major health organisations recommend that women breast feed their babies exclusively until they are 6 months old, and continue breast feeding, along with solids, until they are 12 months old or more. Breast milk has many benefits.
Genetic testing is helping solve mystery of unexplained death in young people
Researchers using genetic testing have shed new light on the unexplained deaths of nearly 500 young Australians and New Zealanders, finding coronary artery disease was the cause of nearly a quarter of deaths.
A case of a bulging oesophageal bypass
53 years ago, this man had an operation to replace his oesophagus with his colon. Look what's happened now.