Video: Surf therapy can help depression and PTSD
It’s a beautiful morning. A group of people meet on the beach to see the sun rising.
They sit in a circle and talk then grab their surfboards and head out into the breakers – This is surf therapy.
It combines cognitive behavior therapy with physical activity and the challenge of surfing.
Recent studies have found that surf therapy therapy can help to reduce symptoms of depression and PTSD.
The combination of mental and physical therapy is a powerful tool:
- Physical activity can reduce stress
- Physical activity can reduce anxiety
- Physical activity can reduce symptoms related to insomnia
- Surf therapy improves self efficacy and provides a sense of achievement
- Surf therapy can remove barriers to traditional therapy
- It reduces the stigma against mental illness
- It can reduce social isolation
- It can increase confidence and build camaraderie
Visit Waves of Wellness and search this website for more information about mental health
Last Reviewed: 19/12/2018
Post-traumatic stress disorder
Post-traumatic stress disorder is a mental health condition that can affect people who have seen or been involved in a traumatic event. PTSD can disrupt the lives of people affected and their families.
Mental illness: available treatments
Find out which health care professionals treat mental illness and about the variety of different treatments available.
Depression in older people
Older people may be particularly prone to depression because of the increased likelihood that they will be experiencing stressful life events.
Depression: Q and A
Depression is very common, affecting more than one in 5 people in Australia in their lifetime. Get the answers to commonly asked questions about depression, including what can be done to help.
Depression symptoms can be improved by diet
Improving diet may be one step in reducing symptoms for people with depression