Emotional IQ: 5 Ways to improve your EQ
What are the 5 ways you can improve your emotional IQ, or some people would say EQ?
The 5 ways are as follows.
- The first is to make a commitment to improve your emotional IQ.
- The second is to recognise the way in which you’re not showing the greatest level of emotional IQ. So what are some pretty simple examples? Firstly, be tolerant. Don’t react immediately when there are things going on that irritate you. Learn to accept criticism. Recognise that criticism is not something that is designed to be harmful, but is actually, creates an opportunity for you to improve.
- The third is, when giving feedback, do it tactfully and wisely.
- The fourth is to keep your mood in check. Keep your anxiety level as even as possible.
- And finally, kindness is a very important part of EQ.
Dr Matthew Cullen, Psychiatrist, St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney
Last Reviewed: 12/10/2020