flo® Sinus Care
Consumer Medicine Information
Do Not Substitute
Always use the solution recommended by your doctor. Alternative irrigation solutions may not work as well as FLO Sinus Care.
Flo Sinus Care has been fomulated to closely mimic the body's own extracellular fluid, so it is gentle on nasal tissues.
A clinical study has shown it helps to relieve post operative symptoms more effectively than isotonic saline solutions2 in the initial two weeks after surgery.
Where to get FLO Sinus Care
FLO Sinus Care is available from all leading pharmacies in Australia. If not immediately available please ask your pharmacist to order it in for you.
Alternatively, call ENT Technologies Pty Ltd on local call 1300-857-912 to locate your nearest stockist.
FLO Sinus Care packs available
- Bottle and 12 sachets
- Refill packs containing 20, 50 or 100 sachets.
When to use FLO Sinus Care
- Hayfever or allergies – to help wash away unwanted pollens, dust, animal fur and other irritants.
- Colds and sinusitis – to help remove excess mucus and bacteria from the nose and sinus cavities. This also helps relieve facial pressure and discomfort often felt with sinusitis.
- Post operatively – to help wash away mucus, dry blood and unwanted debris from the nose and sinuses.
- CPAP users – to help relieve nasal and sinus congestion.
- In conjunction with other medicated nasal sprays – use FLO Sinus Care 20 minutes prior to the medicated product to help clear mucus and improve their effectiveness.
For more information:
If you have any questions, contact:
ENT Technologies Pty Ltd
Suite 304, 12 Cato Street, Hawthorn East,
VIC 3123, Australia
Phone: +61 3 9832 3700
Fax: +61 3 9832 3799
Local Call: 1300 857 912 (Australia)
What is FLO Sinus Care?
FLO Sinus Care is a non medicated, preservative free nasal and sinus irrigation kit. It can be used to relieve nasal and sinus congestion as well as optimise your recovery following nasal and sinus surgery.
FLO Sinus Care consists of a wash bottle and pre-mixed sachets of FLO powder. Refill sachet packs are also available separately. Each sachet contains pre-mixed powder of Sodium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Lactate Pentahydrate, and Glucose Anhydrous. When dissolved into 200mL of water it closely resembles the fluid which naturally bathes the cells of the body. This fluid contains minerals and sugar which are required for normal functioning of delicate nasal tissue.
Why use FLO Sinus Care?
FLO Sinus Care is designed to irrigate the nasal and sinus cavities using a large volume of solution at low positive pressure. This method improves penetration of irrigation fluid into the sinus cavities compared with traditional metered nasal pumps1.
Since FLO Sinus Care is formulated to mimic the body's own extracellular fluid, it is:
- Gentle on nasal tissue
- Compatible with other medications
How do I use and clean the FLO Sinus Care Kit?
Make sure you have the FLO bottle, tube, cap, pre-mixed sachets of FLO powder and pre-boiled water ready for each application.
Always use as directed.
- First time use – Thoroughly wash the bottle, tube and cap with warm soapy water using a bottle brush to clean all surfaces. Rinse all components with clean tap water and dry using a clean paper towel.
- Fill the bottle to the Fill Line using luke-warm pre-boiled water. Always boil water for at least 1 minute before cooling until luke-warm.
NOTE: If more convenient, boiled water may be stored in a clean container in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours. You may reheat the water in the FLO bottle using a microwave oven in 5 second bursts.
- Cut or tear open one sachet of FLO powder. Using the guidelines, fold out sachet into a funnel shape and pour the entire contents into the FLO bottle.
- Screw the cap and tube firmly onto the bottle and shake until all the powder has dissolved.
The mixture is now ready for use
- Standing over a basin, bend forward and tilt your head down so your chin almost touches your chest. Insert the tip of the cap gently into one nostril.
Whilst breathing through the mouth, steadily and gently squeeze the bottle until the solution drains from the opposite nostril or from the mouth. No harmful effects will occur if some of the solution is swallowed. Whenever the bottle needs to refill with air, remove it from your nose before releasing hand pressure to prevent "suck back" and contamination of the remaining solution.
- Repeat above steps until approximately half of the solution has been used.
- Repeat procedure on other nostril.
- Gently blow your nose to clear any remaining fluid and mucus.
NOTE: If you have recently had nasal or sinus surgery, do not blow your nose before checking with your surgeon.
- Discard any remaining solution in the bottle. Always make a fresh solution for each treatment.
- Cleaning after use. Wash all components with warm soapy water and rinse well. Dry with a clean paper towel. Firmly wipe all components using either a large alcohol swab or a clean paper towel which has been well moistened with isopropyl alcohol (available from pharmacies) to help remove unwanted bacteria. Be sure to wipe down the thread on the bottle neck and inside of the cap. Allow about 5 minutes for the alcohol to dry. Reassemble the FLO bottle and store in the refrigerator until next needed. BEFORE NEXT USE rinse the bottle with previously boiled water to remove any residues from the isopropyl alcohol.
What side effects can I expect?
- Blocked ears – this may occur if solution enters the eustachian tube. If this occurs, try clearing your ears by pinching your nostrils closed and gently blowing through the nose. Your ears will start to clear when you hear a popping sound. Release the pressure on your nostrils, breathe normally and swallow a few times. Repeat as necessary.
- Earache – this may occur if applying too much pressure when squeezing the bottle. Try to use less pressure when administering FLO. Also follow the above procedure to help un-block your ears. If earache persists, stop using this product and consult your Healthcare professional.
How often do I need to use FLO Sinus Care?
Use FLO Sinus Care twice daily or as directed by your healthcare practitioner. There are no adverse effects from using FLO Sinus Care more often because it is preservative-free and non-medicated. NOTE: use anytime of day, except the last hour before bed. Lying down immediately after use can result in fluid draining from the sinuses unexpectedly. This may cause coughing.
Can I use FLO Sinus Care while pregnant or breast feeding?
FLO Sinus Care is non-medicated and preservative-free and may be used during pregnancy or whilst breast feeding.
Does FLO Sinus Care interact with other medications?
FLO Sinus Care is non-medicated and preservative-free and may be used whilst taking other medications.
How is FLO Sinus Care packaged?
FLO Sinus Care is available in the following pack sizes:
- Bottle and 12 sachets
- Refill packs of 20, 50 or 100 sachets
Do not use after the expiry date marked on the sachets.
Do not use if the sachets have been damaged or tampered with.
Use only as directed.
If symptoms persist, consult your healthcare professional.
- A comparative study 3 methods of nasal irrigation. Wormald PJ at al. Laryngoscope Vol 114: Dec 2004 page 2224-2227
- A double blind randomised controlled trial of normal saline, Lactated Ringers, and hypertonic saline nasal irrigation solutions after endoscopic sinus surgery. Low T et al. Americal Journal of Rhinology & Allergy Vol 28 (2014) pp1-7.
This leaflet was last updated on 16th October 2017.
Published by MIMS October 2018