Beets are still in season, and what better way to eat them than in this simple and elegant salad.
- 600 g raw mixed-color baby beets, ideally with leaves
- 4 clementines (oranges if out of season)
- ½ a bunch of fresh tarragon, (15g)
- 100 g crumbly goat’s cheese
- 40 g shelled unsalted walnut halves
- Reserving any nice smaller beet leaves, halve any larger beets and cook, covered, in a pan of boiling salted water for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the juice of 1 clementine into a large bowl with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and a good splash of red wine vinegar.
- Peel the remaining 3 clementines, slice into fine rounds and arrange on your plates.
- Drain the beets and briefly refresh in cold water until cool enough to quickly rub off the skins. Halve or slice a few, then toss them all in the dressing.
- Taste, season to perfection with sea salt and black pepper, then pick in the tarragon and toss with the reserved beet leaves.
- Divide between your plates, crumble over the goat’s cheese and walnuts, and drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil.