9 Reasons not to try nanging
“Nanging” is the inhalation of nitrous oxide (N2O) from the bulbs or cartridges used to whip up cream.
9 reasons not to try it are:
1. Just because doctors and dentists use nitrous oxide, doesn’t make it safe for you to use.
2. Nitrous oxide is neurotoxic (causes damages to nerves) at high doses.
3. Inhaling nitrous oxide can cause heart attack.
4. Memory loss is a side-effect of long-term nitrous oxide use.
5. Nanging can lead to a weakened immune system.
6. Just because it’s not illegal to use, doesn’t mean it’s safe.
7. Knowingly or recklessly supplying nitrous oxide is against the law.
8. Nitrous oxide inhalation can cause sudden death.
9. Inhaling large amounts can result in fainting and a sudden drop in blood pressure.
Inhaling nitrous oxide carries risk. There is no safe level of use of any drug. Aside from the short-term side effects, long-term use of nitrous oxide can lead to psychological dependence and cravings when you try to withdraw from using it.
Nitrous oxide does not contain oxygen so breathing N2O alone will result in death from asphyxiation. It can reduce B12 levels, harm immune function and affect DNA production.
If you are concerned about someone’s drug use, or your own drug use, contact the Alcohol and Drug Information Service in your state. If someone has an adverse reaction or overdoses on inhalants such as nitrous oxide, call an ambulance and stay with the person.
Last Reviewed: 24/02/2016
1. Australian Drug Foundation. Drug Info. Nitrous oxide facts. http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/drug-facts/nitrous-oxide (accessed Feb 2016).
2. Australian Drug Foundation. Inhalants: how drugs affect you. http://bookshop.adf.org.au/pamphlets/inhalants-how-drugs-affect-you.aspx?id=93 (accessed Feb 2016).
Childbirth - pain relief options
There are many options for pain relief during labour and childbirth, including having an epidural. Find out what's available before you are due to give birth, and the pros and cons of each option.
Inhalants: what are the effects?
Even small amounts of inhalants can affect you quite quickly, due to their rapid entry to the bloodstream through the lungs.
Haemorrhoids (piles) can be inside or outside the anal canal. They are common, particularly after 40 and during pregnancy. Find out what products are available for haemorrhoids.
MRI scan: magnetic resonance imaging
An MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan gives detailed images of the inside of the body. MRI uses strong magnets, low-energy radio waves and a computer.
Bipolar disorder (sometimes called manic-depression) is an illness, a medical condition.