Video: All it takes is 5 nights of bad sleep
A report commissioned by the Federal Government has found 5 nights of bad sleep –
- can put your body in a pre-diabetic state
- for young men – a dramatic, but temporary, drop in testosterone levels.
Poor sleep generally is associated with –
- 20 to 40% increase in chronic health issues
- Higher risk of obesity
- Mental health issues
- Reduced work productivity
- More road accidents than alcohol and drugs combined.
So what is a good night’s sleep?
Most adults need 7 – 8 hrs a night
Sleep tips –
- Set a regular bedtime and wake up time
- Turn off smartphones, digital devices one hour before bedtime
- Limit caffeine and alcohol during the day
- Eat dinner at least 2 hrs before bedtime
- Comfortable bed and pillow
- Dark bedroom
- Meditate to reduce stress
- Physical exercise during the day.
The three pillars of health –
- Healthy diet
- Physical exercise
- Good sleep.
Make sleep a priority in your life.
Last Reviewed: 18/04/2019