Consumer Medicine Information
What is in this leaflet?
Please read this leaflet carefully before you use AVAMYS.
This leaflet answers some common questions about AVAMYS. It does not contain all of the available information.
It does not take the place of talking to your doctor or pharmacist.
All medicines have risks and benefits. Your doctor has weighed the expected benefits of you taking AVAMYS against the risks this medicine could have for you.
If you have any concerns about taking this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Keep this leaflet with the medicine. You may need to read it again.
What is AVAMYS used for?
AVAMYS is used to treat symptoms of allergic rhinitis including stuffy, runny or itchy nose, sneezing, and watery, itchy or red eyes. The effects are usually felt within the first day, although some people will not feel the effects until several days after first taking it.
AVAMYS contains the medicine fluticasone furoate. This medicine belongs to a group of medicines known as corticosteroids, frequently called 'steroids'. They are not 'anabolic steroids' which are the steroids sometimes misused by athletes.
AVAMYS works to decrease inflammation caused by allergy (rhinitis).
Your doctor may have prescribed AVAMYS for another reason.
AVAMYS is not addictive.
Before you use AVAMYS
Do not use if:
You must not use AVAMYS if:
- you have ever had an allergic reaction to fluticasone furoate or any of the ingredients listed toward the end of this leaflet. (See "Ingredients")
- the expiry date (EXP) printed on the pack has passed.
- the packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering.
Tell your doctor if:
You must tell your doctor if:
- you are allergic to foods, dyes, preservatives or any other medicines.
- you are taking an antiviral medicine called a protease inhibitor (e.g. ritonavir) or a type of medicine used to treat fungal infections (e.g. ketoconazole).
- you are taking any other medicines, including medicines you buy without a prescription. This includes inhaled, oral or injected steroids.
- you are breastfeeding, pregnant or trying to become pregnant.
How do I use AVAMYS?
How much to use
Take AVAMYS as directed by your doctor or pharmacist. Don't exceed the recommended dose.
Adults and adolescents 12 years and older:
- The usual starting dose is 2 sprays in each nostril once a day.
- Once symptoms are controlled you may be able to decrease your dose to 1 spray in each nostril once a day.
Children (2 to 11 years):
- The usual starting dose is 1 spray in each nostril once a day.
- If symptoms are severe your doctor may increase the dose to 2 sprays in each nostril once a day until symptoms are under control. It may then be possible for the dose to be reduced to 1 spray in each nostril once a day.
How to use it
See the instruction leaflet inside the pack for information on how to use AVAMYS.
Shake well before use.
AVAMYS is sprayed into the nose as a fine mist. It has virtually no taste.
AVAMYS is not for use in the eyes.
Use AVAMYS once a day and at the same time each day. This will treat your symptoms throughout the day and night.
How long to use it for
Your doctor will tell you how long to use AVAMYS.
Do not stop using AVAMYS, or change the dose without first checking with your doctor.
Use in children
AVAMYS is not recommended for use in children below 2 years of age.
What do I do if I use too much? (Overdose)
Immediately telephone your doctor or Poisons Information Centre