6 Things you should know about new hepatitis C treatments
- There is a new generation of drugs available for the cure of hepatitis C;
- They are taken orally, have few side-effects and completely cure more than 9 out of ten patients;
- The drugs are available on the PBS from 1 March 2016 to all adult patients in the community, with separate arrangements in place for people in jail;
- The treatment duration ranges from 8 to 24 weeks;
- You do not need to see a specialist as the drugs can be prescribed by a GP; and
- The Government says it has invested close to $1 billion on the rollout.
2. Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. New hepatitis C medicines - Frequently Asked Questions. (accessed Feb 2016).