Only 2 per cent of people opting out of electronic health record

21 June 2016

About one in every 50 people involved in pilot trials of the My Health Record on Australia's east coast have elected to opt-out.

This is consistent with the experience elsewhere in the world, the health department says.

Some 971,000 people in the two opt-out trial areas in northern Queensland and NSW's Nepean-Blue Mountains region got access to their newly created records last week, a spokeswoman confirmed.

About 1.9% of people in both trial sites have chosen to opt out, she said.

Registered healthcare providers within the 2 primary health networks will be able to access their patients' records and upload documents from July 15. 

If the trials work, a wider rollout is anticipated for 2017.

Health minister Sussan Ley announced the switch from opt-in to opt-out last October - and announced the 2 trials soon after.

She said the new system would be better for patients and cut down on unnecessary "risks and inefficiencies" that were frustrating doctors.

The AMA and RACGP remain unconvinced and say the My Health Record remains riddled with deficiencies that should be rectified before any major rollout.

They're especially concerned about the extent of patient access and the amount of upload data needed for GPs to claim eHealth incentive payments.

Last Reviewed: 21 June 2016
Reproduced with kind permission from Medical Observer.

Online doctor

Need health advice right now?See an Australian-registered doctor on your phone
Medical Observer

Medical Observer

Our mission is to keep you informed and connected with breaking news and opinion across a broad range of topics. For nearly 30 years, our dedicated journalists and Doctors have brought readers the most important developments in clinical practice, research and politics.