Lung cancer: some sobering facts
Some alarming facts about lung cancer, Australia's biggest cancer killer.
- Lung cancer is the leading cause of death due to cancer in Australia.
- Lung cancer is the fifth most common cancer in Australia.
- More than 8,000 Australians are diagnosed with lung cancer each year.
- More than 7,000 Australians die from lung cancer each year.
- About one in 30 Australians will develop lung cancer by the age of 75.
- It is estimated that up to 90 per cent of lung cancers are due to smoking.
Last Reviewed: 06 July 2009
- 1. Australian Government – Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW). Australian cancer statistics update, December 2008 [accessed 2009, Jul 6]. Available at: http://www.aihw.gov.au/cancer/index.cfm